Chelsea have not made a move for Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey with his club “convinced” that he’ll be staying at the Wanda Metropolitano, according to the Guardian‘s Fabrizio Romano.
There had been reports that the Blues (or Arsenal) could make a bid before the transfer deadline for the Ghanaian international as a cheaper alternative to West Ham’s Declan Rice. However, Romano says that unless a club triggers the player’s €50m (£45m) release clause, he won’t be leaving Atletico:
One more time. Atlético Madrid are convinced Thomas Partey is staying. No Chelsea, no Arsenal. No chances as always said by July. Let’s see if there’ll be some late move to trigger his clause, but Atléti are not expecting anyone. ⚪️🔴 #CFC #AFC #DeadlineDay https://t.co/XWvOuOw2sT
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) October 5, 2020
It is not a surprising development but a lot can happen on the final day of the transfer window. Manager Frank Lampard is believed to be very keen on signing a holding midfielder but with moves for Rice and Partey looking unlikely, it remains to be seen whether another player will be targeted instead.
Chelsea have already made seven signings this summer, but the prospect of an eighth coming doesn’t appear to be on the cards at the moment.