“It’s True” – Fabrizio Romano Says Chelsea Are In Touch With Brazilian Defender’s Representatives

Chelsea have been in contact with the entourage of Sport Recife right-back Pedro Lima, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.

The Blues have been heavily linked with the 17-year-old over the past few weeks but, writing in his Daily Briefing column, Romano said it could be a while before we know which club the Brazilian will sign for:

“It’s true that Chelsea like Pedro Lima and I can confirm that there has been contact with his camp, but we’re still waiting to see how things will develop in the next weeks. There are also other clubs interested in both England and Spain.”

Lima is believed to have a €10m (£8.5m) release clause in his contract, which means it is almost certain that he will be on the move this summer, but it remains to be seen where he will go.

Which other clubs are interested in signing Lima?

Based on Sport Recife director Marcelo Barros’s comments last week, it appears that “more than one club” is holding talks with the Brazilian side about a potential transfer.

Both Liverpool and Manchester City have also been mentioned as potential suitors for Lima recently, although it is felt that Chelsea hold the most interest from teams in England.

What do Chelsea fans need to know about the fullback?

The defender came to prominence with his performances for Brazil in the Under 17 World Cup late last year. He started all five of his country’s games at the tournament before they were knocked out by Argentina in the quarter-finals.

Since then, Lima has made his senior debut at club level and, so far this campaign, the youngster has made 25 appearances for Sport Recife, with his last start coming against Nautico on Tuesday evening. He played the full 90 minutes in the 0-0 draw.

Watch Football and Sport programmes on Shots!TV here

David Tully

David Tully

David has worked as a football reporter for the last fifteen years. Having started as an intern at Snack Media, he then went on to become a freelancer, working on various different sites. At the start of 2023, he took up his current role as content writer for National World's Football News Network.