ChelseaNews.com

The original unofficial Chelsea news blog.

Chelsea dealt blow in pursuit of goalkeeping target

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has revealed that the club are yet to receive any offers for star goalkeeper Jan Oblak, after weeks of speculation surrounding his future.

The Atletico Madrid goalkeeper is rated as one of the best in the world, with only really David De Gea being able to stake a claim in front of him at this moment in time.

Statistically, since he’s been at Atletico, he has been one of the most important players at the club, having only conceded on average around 0.5 goals per game. The 25-year-old has already made well over 100 appearances for Atletico and is regarded as the most sought-after goalkeepers in the game, with Chelsea and Liverpool both reportedly battling it out for his services.

Chelsea seem resigned to the fact that Thibaut Courtois is on his way out of Stamford Bridge, with a move to Real Madrid looking the likely option, and Oblak could well be the perfect replacement.

But Cerezo has insisted that the intention is that Oblak will remain at Atletico for the long term, and says that no club has made an effort to sign their star player so far this summer.

“Nobody has approached us for him (Oblak),” Cerezo told Onda Cero radio.

“We have his situation tied down and we are confident he will form an important part of our team for many years to come.

“New signings? We will unveil Rodri on Thursday then (Thomas) Lemar on Friday, and we are working on more deals.

“We are receptive to possible deals and strengthening our squad.”

Comments are closed on this article.